The Instant Pot multicooker can bake a cake too (similar to making a cake in a rice steamer). For a foolproof beginner recipe, try this Nutty Brownie Cake from The I Love My Instant Pot Recipe Book ($17) by Michelle Fagone. Chocolate chips and chopped pecans dot the cake. In 20 minutes, the rich chocolatey batter steams to fluffy perfection. Though Michelle calls for dusting the top with powdered sugar, you could always let the cake cool and ice the top with homemade frosting!
This Nutty Brownie Cake is a perfect slice of perfection when you are craving something chocolate. With its small stature, this recipe will fulfill that sweet tooth without leaving evidence in the morning. Cook it and you’re done. Tomorrow is a new day.
Smash Cake Pan: Traditionally, a smash cake pan is what is used to cook the cake for the first birthday of a child with the perceived result that the child will smash the cake in his/her face for an excellent photo opportunity. It is also the perfect-sized pan to fit into an Instant Pot®. You can find this size of cake pan in some specialty stores and also online. If you are addicted to your Instant Pot® and want a small cake from time to time, get this pan.
- 4 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1⁄3 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- In a large bowl, whisk together butter, eggs, flour, baking powder, cocoa powder, salt, and sugar. Do not overmix. Fold in chocolate chips and pecans. Pour batter into a greased 6″ cake pan. Cover pan with a piece of aluminum foil.
- Pour water into the Instant Pot®. Set trivet in pot. Place cake pan on top of the trivet. Lock lid.
- Press the Manual button and adjust time to 20 minutes. When timer beeps, let pressure release naturally for 5 minutes. Quick-release any additional pressure until float valve drops and then unlock lid.
- Remove cake pan from the Instant Pot® and transfer to a rack to cool. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve.
Excerpted from The I Love My Instant Pot© Recipe Book: From Trail Mix Oatmeal to Mongolian Beef BBQ, 175 Easy and Delicious Recipes by Michelle Fagone (CavegirlCuisine.com). Used by permission of the publisher, Adams Media, a division of Simon & Schuster. All rights reserved. Photography by James Stefiuk.
For the full story click here!